Tuesday, March 22, 2005

WNBA star traded after fighting depression

WASHINGTON - Chamique Holdsclaw, who missed the final half of last season due to depression, was traded by the Women's National Basketball Association's Washington Mystics to the Los Angeles Sparks.

The Mystics, who received Delisha Milton-Jones in the swap of forwards, lost Holdsclaw for the final 13 games of last season. Holdsclaw has since played for a team in Spain.

"I know that I greatly benefited from my experiences in Washington which will help me both personally and professionally as I move on," Holdsclaw said.

"I want to express my deep appreciation and gratitude to the Washington Mystics fans for their unwavering support, kindness and loyalty during my six years with the team - especially during the tough times of this past season."

Holdsclaw averaged 18.3 points, 9.0 rebounds and 2.5 steals in six seasons with the Mystics but was unable to play through the second half of last season as she grappled with depression.

"Chamique went through a very trying time personally last season, and we have attempted to support her in every way possible," said Susan O'Malley, president of the Mystics ownership group.

"When she asked us to consider trading her for a fresh start, we felt it was best for everyone to honor that request."

Milton-Jones averaged 11.4 points, 6.0 rebounds and 1.8 assists a game in six years with the Sparks.

"While we are excited about adding Delisha to the roster, we will certainly miss Chamique," Mystics coach Michael Adams said.

No comments: