Friday, December 10, 2004

Alexis Hornbuckle scheduled to start at the point

With senior point guard Loree Moore recovering from a tonsillectomy procedure on Friday, freshman Alexis Hornbuckle will start at the point guard position against DePaul on Sunday.

Hornbuckle has proven herself as a capable back-up for Moore coming off the bench, but the contest versus the Blue Demons will be her first collegiate start. The Charleston, W. Va., native is currently tied for second on the team in steals and has seen the most playing time of any of the freshman averaging 21.8 minutes per game.

"Alexis wants to be in charge. She likes taking the initiative," Lady Vol Head Coach Pat Summitt said. "When you have a player like Alexis they don't shy away from anything. I think the team has a lot of confidence in her abilities."

Hornbuckle played on the wing in high school, but considers herself a natural point guard.

"I'm excited to play point because I like to drive and create for my team. When my teammates get in the flow, that kind of gets me in the flow. Starting at point guard I have to take on more leadership roles. I have to be more vocal, I have to be the one to get the team up when they're down, I have to be the one that has the extra fire, and I've been trying to do that in the past week in our practices."

The freshman has also had a lot of support from her teammates.

"As soon as we found out about Loree, Shanna was the first person who walked up to me, pulled me to the side, looked me in the eyes and said I needed to step up and fill this role. She said they were going to help me out and get me through my first start. That is exactly what I needed to hear."

Hornbuckle and the Lady Vols will take on the DePaul Blue Demons at Thompson-Boling Arena on Sunday at 3 p.m.

No comments: