Friday, May 25, 2012

6-3 post player Nia Moore signs with Lady Vols

One of Tennessee's new women's basketball assistant coaches has helped produce a much-needed boost to the Lady Vols' roster.

Nia Moore, a 6-foot-3 post player from Bolingbrook (Ill.) High, has signed with the Lady Vols and will join the team next season.

New coach Holly Warlick heralded the new signee on Twitter on Thursday night by writing, "All Lady Vols fans please welcome Nia Moore to our family!! Newest member of our team!!"

Moore had signed with Illinois and Illini coach Jolette Law last November. Law was fired in March and joined the Lady Vols' staff last month.

Moore said that she got out of her letter of intent with Illinois about two weeks ago.

"I talked to them,'' she said. "I wanted to get released. There was no problem with releasing me."

She signed with UT without first visiting campus.

"I wanted to play for the coach that recruited me," Moore said.

Moore is a three-star prospect who previews as a lanky, athletic rebounder and a capable shot blocker. She played two seasons at Bolingbrook with Lady Vols point guard Ariel Massengale.

Since Isabelle Harrison is UT's only returning post player, Moore will address a glaring need.

"I just want to be a part of this winning program,'' she said. "I like their style of play. I think I can add to that."

Moore is the second player to sign with Tennessee this week. Jasmine Phillips, a 5-11 junior college forward from Louisburg (N.C.) College, joined the Lady Vols on Monday.

No comments: