Thursday, April 12, 2007

Summitt Announces Departure of Lady Vol

Moats played in nine games this season

KNOXVILLE, TENN. -- Pat Summitt, head coach of the 2007 NCAA Champion University of Tennessee Lady Volunteer basketball team, announced today that freshman Nicci Moats had elected to leave the program.

"Nicci has decided to leave the Lady Vol basketball team," said Summitt. "I wish her success in all of her future endeavors."

Moats, a 6'2" forward from Daleville, Va., played in nine games this season and averaged 0.8 ppg and 0.9 rpg. On Jan. 27, 2007, Summitt announced that Moats would remain on medical leave from the team for the remainder of the season. At the time, Moats remarked, "After talking with the medical staff, I decided to take a leave from playing with the team for the remainder of the season so my focus can be on getting healthy and concentrating on my academics."

On the season, she recorded a career high four points against George Washington Univ., grabbed three rebounds and blocked two shots against Chattanooga for other high-water marks.

"This was personally a difficult year for me at Tennessee, and I feel it is in my best interest to pursue playing opportunities closer to home and my family," said Moats.

No comments: