Lady Vols Keepsake Issue to Hit Newsstands Beginning Today
New York - SPORTS ILLUSTRATED PRESENTS has published a special collector's issue commemorating the Lady Vols' 7th National Championship. The 80-page magazine, with a limited press run of 110,000 copies, will begin hitting newsstands throughout the state of Tennessee today at area retailers including Kroger, Wal-Mart, Barnes & Noble, Food City, Food Lion and Ingles. The special edition, which will be sold at a price of $6.99, features NCAA Final Four Most Outstanding Player Candace Parker on its cover with a billing that reads, "2007 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS...LADY VOLS."
Highlights of the special issue include:
A WHOLE NEW BALL GAME:
* Women's basketball has made enormous strides thanks in larger part to a certain mother and coach in Tennessee orange, writes Andrew Lawrence.
THE 2006-07 SEASON IN PICTURES:
* Tennessee tamed a typical tough nonconference schedule and went undefeated in the SEC for the eighth time.
2007 NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP:
* Tournament Brackets: Several early-round upsets cleared the path to Cleveland for Tennessee.
* Hitting the Road: The Lady Vols made a rare trip out of Tennessee for the first two rounds, but it was Drake and Pittsburgh who were sent packing, writes Andrew Lawrence.
* Two Over Easy: The big, bad Lady Vols hammered Cinderella's Marist and Ole Miss and continued their own fairy tale by advancing to the Final Four, writes Andrew Lawrence.
* About a Team: Exhorted by their coach and inspired by one another, the Lady Vols refused to leave Cleveland without delivering to coach Pat Summit her seventh national championship, writes Kelli Anderson.
* The Belle of the Ball: At the Big Dance, Candace Parker showed why she is the most talented player in the history of women's basketball, writes Andrew Lawrence.
* The Greatest Lady Vols of All Time: The Lady Vols' rich basketball history includes seven NCAA titles, three players of the year, the Naismith Player of the Century and the winningest college basketball coach ever. So assembling an all-time Tennessee team from the dozens of deserving candidates is a task for which no one would volunteer.
* Eyes of the Storm: What's behind the steely-eyed focus of Pat Summit, college basketball's winningest coach and the whirlwind force that has carried the Lady Vols to seven national titles? - By Gary Smith
As with all SPORTS ILLUSTRATED PRESENTS commemorative issues, this special collector's edition is separate from the current weekly issue of SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, which features an action shot of Florida's Corey Brewer and is dated April 9, 2007.