Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Pat Summitt given New York Athletic Club Legends Award

University of Tennessee women’s head coach emeritus Pat Summitt was given the New York Athletic Club Winged Foot Legends’ Award on Tuesday.

“We are privileged that Coach Summitt has accepted our Legends’ Award,” James W. O’Brien, Chairman of the Winged Foot Award Committee, said in a news release. “If there is any coach who merits the title ‘legend,’ it is certainly she.”

“To be the recipient of the NYAC’s Winged Foot Legends’ Award is quite humbling,” Summitt said. “I find myself in the company of six very distinguished gentlemen, several of whom I consider dear friends, and who have certainly made their mark on the game of basketball.

"Over the years, I have learned that you win in life with people. Life is much about relationships, and throughout my playing and coaching careers, I was blessed to be surrounded by incredibly talented student-athletes, coaches, staff members and the University of Tennessee Knoxville and Martin campuses that supported me. It has been an amazing journey and to receive this award from the NYAC is a very special honor for me.”

Other recipients are Dean Smith, John Wooden, Lou Carnesecca, Al Maguire, Ray Lumpp and Bob Knight.

No comments: