Friday, October 05, 2012

Stepping down was 'very surprising, very hurtful'

University of Tennessee Lady Vols Head Coach Emeritus Pat Summitt says Athletics Director Dave Hart asked her to step down as head coach.

In a sworn affidavit related to a lawsuit filed against the university by former Lady Vol Media Director Debby Jennings, Summitt describes Hart's request as "very surprising to me and very hurtful."

"During this one-on-one meeting, Dave Hart indicated to me that I would not be coaching the Lady Vol Basketball Team in the next school year (2012-13)," Summitt said according to the affidavit filed Wednesday.

"This was very surprising to me and very hurtful as that was a decision I would have liked to have made on my own at the end of the season after consulting with my family, doctors, colleagues and friends and not to be told this by Mr. Hart. I felt this was wrong."

No comments: