Saturday, October 08, 2011

Country star Campbell to perform in Maryville, TN as part of farewell tour

Country music Hall of Famer Glen Campbell will perform 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 15, at the Clayton Center for the Arts as part of the “Glen Campbell Tennessee Homecoming” tour and in honor of UT Lady Vols Basketball Coach Pat Summitt.

The concert will benefit Alzheimer’s Tennessee Inc., a local nonprofit that was chosen by the UT Athletic Department and Pat Summitt as one of the beneficiaries of the “We Back PAT” campaign featuring T-shirts and billboards.

Campbell is now on the road for the last time. “I still love making music,” the 75-year-old Campbell said. “And I still love performing for my fans. I’d like to thank them for sticking with me through thick and thin.”

Four of Campbell’s children are expected to play backup during his “Tennessee Homecoming concert.”

Campbell and his wife Kim of 29 years have shared about how he finds fulfillment through performing during what he is calling his “Goodbye Tour.”

Campbell also released his final studio album, “Ghost On The Canvas,” at the end of August.

Proceeds from the concert will benefit families and research supported by Alzheimer’s Tennessee Inc.

“I’m really not worried about anything,” Campbell said during a recent interview with The Associated Press. “You know those people who say, ‘Oh, geez, I wonder what’s going to happen tomorrow?’ Tomorrow’s cool. Just don’t mess it up. It’s just wonderful. I think where I am at right now in this universe, I wouldn’t want to be anything else than what I am.”

In the past month, Campbell has performed on “The Tonight Show” and “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” and appeared on the “Tavis Smiley Show.”

On Thursday he played at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles and is set to perform Sunday at the Lobero Theatre in Santa Barbara, Calif.

On Tuesday he tapes “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” in Los Angeles and, on Nov. 9, he’ll be honored during a five- to six-minute segment on the 45th annual CMA Awards show.

No comments: