Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Tyler Summitt opens up about how his mother is dealing with disease

Tyler Summitt is opening up about how his mom is dealing with early onset Alzheimer's disease.

Tyler said his mom has high spirits and is ready to face the challenge head-on.

"First of all anybody that ever comes to her and says I'm sorry, she says no need to be sorry, we're getting through this. And she's the one encouraging them. it's a little backwards you know, but she won't have any pity party for her. She's ready to move forward with this," said Tyler.

As Pat Summitt works to move forward, Tyler said he is doing the same and keeps the lessons his mom taught him close to heart. "Her players get four years with her. I've had a lifetime with her. I thought I learned it all because I want to be a college coach someday, and I realize the life lessons never do stop for her. She just taught me how to be open and honest and to have the courage to face the truth," said Tyler.

Tyler said his mom's diagnosis has made her more determined than ever. He said she is doing daily exercises to keep her mind strong and plans to keep coaching the Lady Vols as long as she can.

No comments: