Sunday, June 07, 2009

Things you may not know about Pat Summitt

The YWCA has chosen the eight women who will be named Lifetime Achievement honorees at its 25th annual Tribute to Women event on Aug. 20. They are all women who've led the way on their individual career paths:

Donna Cobble, the first woman on a number of local community boards and the first female chair of both the Greater Knoxville Chamber of Commerce and the United Way campaign;

Pam Fansler, the first female East Market President of First Tennessee Bank;

Sarah Moore Greene, longtime educator and first black member of the Knoxville City Board of Education;

Debra London, first female president of a major East Tennessee medical center, now Mercy Health Partners;

Barbara Reid, first black associate dean of the University of Tennessee's College of Nursing;

Mintha Roach, first female CEO of the Knoxville Utilities Board;

Liane Russell, a retired ORNL scientist and a leading researcher; and

Pat Summitt, the most winning coach in NCAA basketball history.

Things you may not know about Pat Summitt, head coach of the Lady Vols basketball team

Education? BS in physical education, University of Tennessee Martin, 1974; MS in physical education, UT Knoxville, 1975

First job? Head women's basketball coach, UT Knoxville

Mentor? Billie Moore, my Olympics coach in 1976

When I was a kid I wanted to be? A basketball player

Book I learned a lot from? The Bible

Philosophy of life? Treat others the way you want to be treated

If I didn't have my current position I'd be? A teacher

Someone I admire I've not met? Celine Dion

My greatest strength? Teaching skills

My greatest weakness? Over-scheduling

Introvert/extrovert? Extrovert

A good day is? A day at the beach

A bad day is? A rainy day at the beach

One habit I'd recommend to others? Exercise

Is caffeine a must? Not necessarily … but have at least one cup a day

Favorite time of day? Sunset

I eat at my desk? Rarely

Favorite work clothes? Sweats

Last vacation? Kona, Hawaii, August 2008

What makes a good boss? Someone who allows you to manage your own program

What makes a good employee? Loyalty and someone who possesses an excellent work ethic

Hardest part of my job? Losing a game

Favorite part of my job? Teaching on the court

A goal I've yet to accomplish? Nine national championships

Most important skill one needs to be successful? Great communication skills

No comments: