Saturday, September 08, 2007

Two matriarchs of women's basketball stop by practice

NEW YORK – Pat Summitt and Kay Yow have been involved with USA Basketball for a long time. When they speak, it's worth taking the time to listen.

The two legendary coaches stopped by practice Saturday morning for an up close and personal look at the current USA group.

“I think it's great you have Anne Donovan (as coach),” said Yow, who led the USA team to the Olympic gold medal in 1988. “She played for me at the World University Games, the Goodwill Games and the Olympics.

“I think we're in good hands with a very experienced group of coaches. ... I'm hopeful this is going to be a really good team.”

Donovan, who also played for Summitt on the 1984 team that won its first Olympic gold, was happy to have the two legendary coaches at practice.

“It was fantastic. They are both mentors of mine,” she said. “I enjoyed being a player under both of them with their completely different styles. My coaching philosophy is modeled as a player under all the coaches I played for. It's great having them here and I hope to get some feedback from them.”

Yow, who is still battling cancer that forced her to miss much of North Carolina State's season before the team made a run in the NCAA tournament, is feeling better.

“I'm on a different treatment plan which allows me to have so much more energy,” Yow said. “I still have some issues, but it's nothing like the hard chemo I had during the season.”

Summitt, who was on her way back from the basketball hall of fame induction ceremonies in Springfield, Mass., is a member of the USA Basketball senior national committee. She is excited about the possibilities of the team now forming.

“We have a lot of great young players,” Summitt said. “Just looking at this group we have some very talented, but young, players who are going to have to step up and grow up in a hurry.”

No comments: