Thursday, April 06, 2006

WNBA Draft: Two from UT among top 16 picks

KNOXVILLE - Tennessee seniors Tye'sha Fluker and Shanna Zolman were among the 42 players picked in the WNBA draft on Wednesday.

Fluker, a center, was selected by the Charlotte Sting as the 10th pick overall, becoming the 11th Lady Vol to be chosen in the first round.

The San Antonio Silver Stars made Zolman, a guard, the second pick of the second round, 16th overall.
Since the WNBA began play in 1997, 22 Lady Vols have played in the league.

LSU's Seimone Augustus was the first pick overall by the Minnesota Lynx at the draft held in Boston, a day after the women's college national championship game.

"I am totally excited to play for Muggsy (Bogues) at Charlotte. I appreciate the Sting organization thinking that I'm the best post player in my senior class," Fluker said in a statement.

"It is bittersweet that this time in my life has come, but I think it's time to move on. I am so thankful to coach (Pat) Summitt and the University of Tennessee for allowing me the opportunity to play, grow, learn and mature over the past four years."

The Lady Vols ended their season with a loss to North Carolina in the regional final.

Fluker and Zolman went to three Final Fours and won two Southeastern Conference tournament titles.

Zolman leaves Tennessee as the school's best 3-point shooter with records for single-game (7), single-season (103) and career (266).

She also holds the NCAA records in free throw percentage at 91.6 for her career and 95.7 for a single season in 2003-04.

"I'm anxious to start a new phase in my career and go on to the next level. I'm particularly excited about San Antonio because (former Lady Vol) Shyra (Ely) will be there," Zolman said.

"Playing under Pat Summitt and all of our assistant coaches has made me a better player. All Lady Vols are greatly coached. ... I am eagerly anticipating going and starting this new part of my life, and I hope to be an impact player right off the bat."

No comments: