Thursday, May 19, 2005

Summitt driven by Final Four loss

Tennessee coach glad to slow down, spend some time back in hometown

With each tap of her Sharpie, Pat Summitt revealed why she is the most successful coach in NCAA Division I basketball history.

Though it had been six weeks since her Lady Vols lost a 16-point lead against Michigan State in the Final Four, Summitt recounted the story Tuesday in the serenity of the back patio at the Clarksville Country Club during a stop with the Big Orange Caravan like she just walked off the court.

With each point she made, her Sharpie showed her distaste for defeat.

"I have to remind myself not to think about the last game," said Summitt as she rapped the black marker on the table to emphasize her frustration. "As a coach I never — in a big game like that — I have never seen a big lead get away from us. A 16-point lead in a game of that magnitude, it's still in my gut.

Then Summitt looked up with a smile and gave the silver lining.

"There hasn't been a day that's gone by that I haven't thought about it," Summitt said. "But that's kind of my personality, and that will help us because I will chew on that all summer."

Just like she has done with her competition for the last 31 seasons.

In becoming the most successful Division I basketball coach in NCAA history, surpassing Dean Smith on March 22 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament with a 75-54 win over Purdue, Summitt has amassed 882 wins against only 172 losses.

For that reason, and her hometown charm, fans lined up two and three wide Tuesday at the Clarksville Country Club to get a word, handshake and autograph from the girl from Henrietta who always loves to come back to Clarksville.

"(Coming home) means some of the best home cooking you could ever want or wish for, and it's just special," Summitt said. "It's a different pace here. Usually I don't go anywhere except for to the house or to church."

That's where she spent Mother's Day.

While her husband stayed at her parents' Henrietta home with her sick father, Summitt thanked her mom for surprising her the night she passed Dean Smith with win No. 879 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

"That was very special," said Summitt as the emotion crept into her voice. "And my husband stayed with dad, and that was really neat."

Summitt said she can't thank her mother enough for making it to her record-breaking night when the University of Tennessee surprised her after the game by naming the court, "The Summitt," in her honor.

"I was just totally taken aback and touched by it," Summitt said. "I started crying. I guess I am more emotional than people realize.

"My intensity is one form of emotion, but I show my feelings whether it is laughter or crying or whatever," Summitt added. "And that night it just happened. I was like, I just can't believe this. I can't believe it."

Similar sentiments came from the Clarksville fans who got to meet her Tuesday.

Rachel Vestal, a 14-year-old freshman at Rossview High School next year, said she really enjoyed getting the opportunity to meet Summitt in person before she attends her first Summitt basketball camp this summer.

"It was really cool," Vestal said. "It helped me because I was nervous about going to the basketball camp because there are people from all over the country there.

"But she made me really happy and made me feel better about it."

Vestal said she hopes the camp will not only make her a better basketball player, but will help her understand what makes Summitt the winner she is.

To that, Summitt provided some insight.

"I never expect any less," Summitt explained. "... I think in order to get (to the top) every year you have to plan to be there every year."

No comments: