Thursday, December 01, 2005

(Way) Inside College Hoops: Pat Summitt's Office



Asking for entry into Pat Summitt's office is like trick-or-treating at a mansion. Intimidating, sure, but you just know there's something akin to a platinum Baby Ruth bar inside. With fingers crossed, SIOC knocked. With arms open, Summitt answered. (Between us, she really digs that door, "because I can close it.")

45-inch Philips plasma TV

"I'm always watching film or practice. I can watch movies, but I don't really have the time. Somebody asked me what my favorite movie was, and I said The Sound of Music. That's how long it's been since I've watched a movie. I'm big on watching practice. [Former Tennessee men's coach] Kevin O'Neill got me into watching practice video. I didn't listen to everything Kevin said, but that's one thing I listened to."

Coffee-table replica of Pat Head Summitt Court

"When something like this happens (Summitt's alma mater, UT-Martin, named its court in her honor), you go down memory lane. UT-Martin was a great place for me. I never thought I'd be a part of a sorority (Chi Omega)."

Commemorative 880-win ball

"That [win] was very special. The first thing I did was take care of my family. My mom got [the game ball from win] number 100. [My husband] R.B. and [son] Tyler got 880, and my brothers and sister got 200, 300, 400 and 500. People talk about trophies and basketballs, but it's the people I come into contact with who mean so much."

Snapshots

"Pictures are special because they tell the story. More than anything it's the relationship you have with those young women. When my father passed [a month ago], I heard from Ashley [Robinson, '04] and Tasha [Butts, '04], and they're playing out of the country. I heard from Shyra [Ely, '05] and Loree [Moore, '05]. It's not all about the good times. Sometimes you see the best of players during a time of adversity. They're great kids, and they're like my kids now."

Door

"It's nice to be alone in my office sometimes, where I can just think about what's going on and not be bothered. That's why I like my window shades, too, because I can close them."

Heavy reading

"All of my basketball books and notebooks are important. But I'm real fond of [former UCLA] Coach John Wooden and John Maxwell when it comes to leadership books. And I have volumes of notes from clinics that are a great resource for seeing how other people do things."

No comments: